Sunday, May 29, 2011

Just in Case

So the great thing is, I've written and sumbitted a fairly good sized chunk of short stories and none of them have been accepted into any magazine!  The sarcasm is pretty heavy here.  Also, with no one reading my blog I have come to a point where I'm throwing away my overly positive bubblegum attitude.  I've decided to be myself, no matter how many people I offend or piss off.  Sigh, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this.  Who am I kidding, I'm a no-manners chick from podunk nowhere who has a strange obsession with writing.
I've finished my second novel and have also completed round 1 on editing.  Trust me, I polish and edit about a billion and a half times and I'm still sure it's not good enough.  I do not polish my blogs, though, because I can barely find time to write my stories let alone play around on the internet.  Not that it matters, no one reads this.
I follow an amazing writer on twitter who convinced me that keeping up with a blog is very good for your career.  If an agent is curious about you, they'll check out your blog and read it.  That's probably horseshit.  From my recent experience with literary agents, they are all incredibly nice and formal when they write out impersonal rejection letters but they are way too busy to read much more than their daily quieries.  So this blog has now become my "just in case" page.
Just in case I'm wrong and there is an agent out there somewhere who is curious about the writer they have just been queried by.
If you are that agent, hello.  I'm Jenni.  I write because I love to and yes, I want to make money off of it because nothing else makes me happy.  I also have a short Irish temper that is often tested.  So far I have two novels written and another one on its way.  I'm in school now so working on my stories is slow going, but by the time you read this I can guarantee I've graduated.
I went to college in L.A. about five years ago and dropped out because, honestly, I missed my boyfriend and couldn't stand being away.  Plus, my two best friends decided to move to the other side of the country anyway and they sort of abandoned me.  On a side note, I tried reconnecting with them recently and they totally blew me off.  First one invites me to come visit, then they both take over a week (A WEEK) to respond to my messages!  Hello, you're not a literary agent or literary magazine, people.  Only they have the ability to make me wait patiently for a response longer than a freaking day.
Back to what I was saying, I was a college drop out.  Then I had to work my way through community college (which is super great on the ego, by the way) at shitty old Walmart.  At this very moment I now work in a nursing home.  So instead of getting shit on by customers metaphorically, I'm literally get shit on.  And puked, pissed, and vomited on.  I have a year and a half until I graduate.  Then I'll be a Radiographic Technologist.  Thank God, something I can stomach.
What I really want to do, what I've always really wanted to do, was write.  I'm not talking about writing on the side.  No, I freaking read a blog written by a best-selling author who was like "Yeah, I had my priorities all set up for myself.  I wanted to marry a rich guy who would take care of me so I don't have to work, have some kids, raise them, then maybe write a book or two.  Great how my life turned out, right?  Didn't know I'd end up writing, like, as a career!"
Excuse me?  You write because the idea passed your luxury-numbed brain and you went with it?  Now you make the big bucks doing something that I wish with all my heart I could do before I die but I can't yet because no one recognizes my talent.  Life's a bitch.
No.  I'm not like that.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE to write.  I will continue doing so whether I get published or not.  But I refuse to lay back and get regected by people who have not even given me a chance.  My shit's good, I know it.  Anyone who reads my shit knows it.  My short stories probably aren't that great, but honestly, most short stories are boring and forgettable.  The only people who read them are the ones who don't have that much creative imagination and they probably don't have a whole lot going on in their lives.  That's not fair of me to say, and probably not true.  But while working on my short stories, I did my research and read a bunch of published ones.  Of the near-hundred that I read only one stuck with me or made me say, "Wow, that was pretty good."  The others were either WTF stories or boring or shoot me in the face-aweful.  How could they pass an educated and creative eye with approval and not me?
Bleh, it's time for me to go wipe ass for eight hours.  Tomorrow I'm going to probably get on here and post one of my short stories.  I don't have much to worry about with copyright because if anyone tries to steal it they won't really get anywhere with it, right?  I sure as hell haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment